Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Summer fun and learning idea: USS Hornet, Alameda, CA

I promised students that I would post some ideas for summer fun and learning.  My first post is about the USS Hornet aircraft carrier in Alameda, CA.  A few days ago, on Father's Day, my family visited the USS Hornet for the program, "Salute to Dad!"  They had a special BBQ and Magic Show and it was living ship day so my son was allowed to ride an aircraft elevator.

The Aircraft Carrier is open most days, but the next family event is the 4th of July Celebration.  We've been to this event and it felt very patriotic.  They will have patriotic events,  food, games, and even a live concert.  There will even be kids' games, a bounce house, and free pinball machines.

For parents, on the hangar deck from 2:00PM until 8:00PM the band Golden Gate Harmony, a cappella barbershop quartet will play.

The view is amazing, but dress warm as it can get very chilly in Alameda!

Information:

USS Hornet
Alameda, CA

website:  www.HornetEvents.com

phone:  (510)  521- 8448

Note:  My father was in the navy for three years working on planes in Alameda on this very base, so it is so much fun to talk about family history on the aircraft carrier with my son!

No comments:

Post a Comment